Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 389

Thread: Your stuff?

  1. #111
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    JM,

    All-right. You have some cool things
    happening there. You should try some
    of these Latin things, while you're
    shopping for a gig. I can point you
    to some good recordings that you could
    work with that would be real fun for
    you. Do you like any of the tunes I
    played on? I can tell you which ones
    those are on. You can get them for a
    song and dance. Play on, brother!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 09, 2003 10:45 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  2. #112
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I really dig this one:

    www.thediametrixletter.com/guaganco1.mp3

    This is my first time through the entire tune. There's a lot happening in it and a challenge.

    I want to clean it up more but am excited about it.

    Another stab:

    www.thediametrixletter.com/guaganco2.mp3

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 10, 2003 04:50 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  3. #113
    Inactive Member JosiahM's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2002
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yea, man totally interested in any and all information.. I mean somepeople think I'm an jerk for having my own opinions, and really I do only based on what I've seen and been taught so they change daily.. I got some latin stuff, yea from a good friend and teacher at school..

    here is some dixie land type stuff i guess you could say..

    www.warpspire.com/misc/dixxie.mp3

    I know the chops are there but they lack (speakign of all i play not anything in particular) that somethign special.

  4. #114
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know the chops are there but they lack (speakign of all i play not anything in particular) that somethign special.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are they? At the risk of giving you a critique, what were you thinking while you were playing this rhythm Josia? What I find helpul and musical is to ALWAYS sing a tune, be it out loud or in my head. So for this groove, 'When The Saints' for example. It will give you a reference point, form and something to play off.
    Also, how much of this music do you listen to? Have you checked out New Orleans drummers? All this second line stuff is killing and swings it's arse off when played correctly! Remember - when playing these rhythms you are playing independant parts on a drum kit as there would have been a bass drum player, side drum and cymbals all playing different parts. It's up to us to replicate all these parts on the drum kit... The Herlin Riley and Johnny Vidacovich book is a fantastic insight into the history and development of this music, tracing the influences on todays drummers...
    Thanks for sharing. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  5. #115
    Inactive Member JosiahM's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2002
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah true.. I used dixie jsut because it's the closest thing I could think of to the style, i could be wrong.. but I hadn't the knowledge of what else to call it. I have a few cd's that were made for me froma styles class that are supose to be from dxie land styles through new orleans 2nd line etc.. and though i must be honest, the most exposure I've had to dixie land has been at Disneyland! To me, what those old guys play sounds very smular to what I was pplaying so hence my reference.

    What was I thinking.. you know.. thats a good question, nothing really. Even when I'm playing with a band I have no real thought going on, I just relax and let things flow if that makes sense.

  6. #116
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What was I thinking.. you know.. thats a good question, nothing really. Even when I'm playing with a band I have no real thought going on, I just relax and let things flow if that makes sense.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's cool J, but you'll find that iff you DO sing a tune, the whole groove will come to life. You are then free to change timbres according to the sections of the tune - the bridge for example and your phrasing will become more interesting as you naturally relate to the melody and chord changes that are going round in your head...
    Incidently and I'm not having a dig here Josia, but I personally think it's a little worrying when a player announces that he has 'ample chops' or whatever. Modesty is an endearing trait! I'd leave it up to other people to comment.
    [img]wink.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 11, 2003 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Dazzler ]</font>

  7. #117
    Inactive Member alexsanguinetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 15th, 2003
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Dear Dazzler,
    I know where you are trying to get but, just for the record, second line drumming and dixieland are two different things, same as with baiao and samba.

    All the best,
    Alex Sanguinetti

  8. #118
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    oops! Very true Alex, I should read more carefully... the point about singing tunes and having a reference point still stands though, regardless of genre.

  9. #119
    Inactive Member alexsanguinetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 15th, 2003
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sure.

    Take care,

    Alex Sanguinetti

  10. #120
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I find that singing a tune
    is also very helpful, as well
    as picturing yourself doing it,
    especially the tough parts.

    I'll always assume that you
    have the chops (technicals)
    down. What remains is the
    groove and your sensitivity
    to the music. Remember that
    you can live without the
    chops, while you have the
    groove but you can't live
    without the groove, while
    you have the chops.

    You have to be patient with
    yourself but at the same time,
    always ready to apply the cor-
    rect formula for learning and
    singing is a part of that for
    me, at least.

    Listening to music is so import-
    ant too, JM. You should know all
    Alex does is buy and listen to
    music. He's got 1000's(!) of
    recordings with great drummers
    doing all the genres. It helps
    expand ones vocabulary.

    When you have a part you're try-
    ing to work out, ask yourself
    what you'd like to hear for it.

    Concieve it and you'll do it.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 11, 2003 10:56 AM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •